In the beginning there was a spinning wheel … but spinning needs fleece and there are only so many avenues for the natural colours of sheep. So started the journey into designing, dyeing, creating and adventures using colour.
A course at the London College of Furniture and others too numerous to mention have broadened and challenged creative skills. Participation in exhibitions includes:
- The Mall Galleries London – ‘The Commissioning Dialogue’ of Distinction Licentiates of the Designer Craftsmen Society.
- Salisbury Arts Festival
- Guild of Spinners, Weavers and Dyers – Nationals – in York, Chichester,Liverpool and Wells
- Brighton Museum – Sussex Open
- Hove Museum
- Worthing Museum – who purchased a piece for their Contemporary Textiles Collection
- Lewes Art Wave
- Green Tree Gallery, Borde Hill, Haywards Heath
- Uckfield Art Trail
- Photographs and techniques of work are included in the Encyclopaedia of Machine Embroidery.
Driven by the need to create, use colour and inspired by beachcombing finds – including driftwood to mount work. Fleece, felt. silk, cotton, beads, hand and machine stitched combine to form unique and magical fantasies.
Email Julie for more details!
Julie is exhibiting at Bridge Cottage